I love developing software and solving programming problems. My development skills are well rounded - I have demonstrated expert proﬁciency in most aspects of professional software development including data structures, algorithms, design patterns, database design, user interfaces, etc. I focus on results and pay close attention to detail.
North Carolina State University
B.S. Computer Science, May 2005, 3.6 GPA
Cooperative Education Program, University Scholars Program, Magna Cum Laude
Primary Languages and Technologies
Software Developer at Advanced Liquid Logic (August 2008 - Current)
- Developed the Assay Development Environment (ADE), an application that...
- Allows users (biochemists and engineers) to develop programs for microﬂuidic devices by building drag-and-drop ﬂow-charts instead of writing code.
- Is used daily by dozens of co-workers to develop, simulate and run experiments.
- Includes sophisticated algorithms for compiling diagrams into runnable code, synchronizing droplet operations, compressing programs, visualizing simulations, etc.
- Was pretty much the coolest software I’ve ever created in the workplace.
- Developed Spot Logic, an application that...
- Is the software portion of a product used to test newborns for several genetic diseases.
- Was deployed in Illinois and Missouri for newborn screening.
- Developed "The Fridge", a web application that...
- Records metadata and results for experiments in a centralized database (over 20,000 runs).
- Includes a sophisticated web interface for viewing and managing data.
- Developed a touch screen user interface for a DNA sample preparation instrument.
- Developed an application that utilized an XYZ stage and a USB camera to optically validate cartridges manufactured in-house.
- Developed a web application with a desktop client for performing QC tests on disposable cartridges and recording the results.
- Developed a web application for managing product keys for activating our software.
Software Architect and Project Manager at TopCoder (July 2005 - May 2008)
- Developed the grammar for a proprietary scripting language and designed the software to parse, validate and interpret these scripts in both live and historical stock market contexts.
- Designed a virtual trade engine to simulate order executions by processing stock market feeds and a real-market trade engine to forward orders to live exchanges.
- Developed several utility applications including:
- Software to monitor systems and email administrators in the event of failures.
- Software to generate statistical and administrative reports and charts.
- Optimized database tables and procedures as necessary to improve performance.
- Designed a web-based survey application.
- Developed an internal tool for tracking upcoming TopCoder competitions.
Programmer (Co-op) at IBM (January 2004 – June 2005)
- Designed and developed a ﬂexible software framework to reduce the time and effort required to create industrial automation solutions.
- Built a simulated oil pipeline to visually demonstrate the capabilities of our platform.
- Received an individual evaluation of "Outstanding" after completing the Extreme Blue internship program.
- Developed a web-based app for monitoring trafﬁc on a topic-based messaging framework.
- Developed and tested an AOL "channel adapter" using the TOC protocol to enable the INS product to send notiﬁcations to instant messenger users.
- Developed software on top of IBM's evolving RFID platform which was heavily inﬂuenced by the results of my prior Extreme Blue project.
- Implemented a "Dock Door Receiving" demo to showcase IBM's RFID platform.
- Created an interactive, SWT-based user interface for the demonstration.
- Developed a servlet-driven webpage for ordering new inventory from a virtual distribution company for the demonstration.
- Helped create an application using the Eclipse RCP framework for viewing virtual inventory and shipments for the demonstration.
Programmer (Co-op) at REM Services (January 2002 – August 2003)
- Developed a web page to display real-time weather data collected on-site.
- Developed COM-based software to retrieve data from the DeltaV process control system for use in other software.
- Developed Pocket PC software to assist execution of hardware test procedures.
- Designed and developed software to wirelessly integrate Pocket PC devices with DeltaV systems, allowing operators to access data previously available only on desktops.
- Developed software to generate documentation from DeltaV conﬁguration ﬁles.
- Developed a website to showcase in-house software and demos.