Mister Queen October 2014
Mr. Queen is a nice little chess engine written in C.
I wrote my first chess engine back in college. It didn't play very well because I never really figured out the advanced search techniques. More recently, after a long hiatus, I tried my hand at writing a chess engine again, and Mister Queen is the result. It's pretty weak among computer chess engines, but it can beat me handily. Features include:
- Bitboards and "magic" bitboards for board representation and super-fast move generation.
- Custom, hash-based opening book based on over three million games from the FICS database.
- Zobrist hashing and a transposition table storing exact values and the best move.
- Null move pruning, aspiration windows, iterative deepening, quiescence search.
- Supports the Universal Chess Interface (UCI).
- Passes all perft tests.
David Kopec used Mister Queen in a chess app for the Apple TV! Read what he wrote about that here.